Sunday, July 6, 2008

Free Time at Last

Well hello! My experience in Ukraine started out completely different from the rest of the team's. My best friend's wedding was June 28, so I stayed in the States doing things for that and left the day after... arriving in Ukraine about 5 days after everyone else, and not without a mini-crisis. I flew into the Kiev airport and... extremely long story short, I spent the day running back and forth between terminals before finding out that Aerosvit airline only accepts paper tickets, OWM did not receive mine in time to give to me, and I had to buy another ticket (thank God I forgot to leave my credit card at home!!). Believe me, it was one of the worst ways to begin a month-long stay in a foreign country, and I couldn't have been happier when I finally made it to DCU.

It was hard to adjust to the busy schedule at first, because I didn't have any training and arrived on Day 3 of the program, but soon got a hang of it. I've been able to build friendships with my students, and hearing their stories of life in Ukraine has definitely helped direct some of the aspirations I have for working in the former Soviet Union. By now all of us on the team have established relationships with students and other teachers, which I'm sure you'll hear more about throughout the month. This girl named Nat (Natalia) has especially become everyone's friend, and is pretty crazy and fun. Yesterday we had a reeeeally long day, involving a five hour bus ride, but she kept us relatively sane.

Anyway, we want to thank you for your support, and I especially want to thank everyone who prayed for my situation at the airport. We're going to try to be better with the updates, and hopefully post more pictures soon.

Much love,
Amy

No comments: