Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer Intensive: Day 1 (half-way through)

Well, it's half way through the first day of the summer intensive. Alexandra and I are co-teaching a class at the upper intermediate level. We have five adult students in our class. I was very nervous, to say the least, about being a teacher. Like Rachel was saying, having my knowledge of the English language as an ultimate authority in a classroom setting was/is a daunting experience. I know how to speak, but the rules and reasons often escape or evade me.
But, day one is over - at least for my classroom experience. Days are split up into sections. In the morning, students have a more traditional classroom experience with lectures, assignments, and so on. After lunch, more inter-active group sessions are run. And then sometimes there will also be evening activities. Alexandra and I have taught our first lesson, with Chelsea graciously aiding us. We were very prepared (we spent about four hours preparing one lesson plan, and then had an experienced teacher look it over), and the time went much quicker and smoother than I had anticipated. Now, this afternoon, while the rest of our team assists with the group activities, Alexandra and I get to prepare tomorrow's lesson plan. Goody.
Tomorrow will be an excellent and challenging day for me. Usually Alexandra and I co-teach the class. But another teacher, an Ukranian woman, will be gone tomorrow, so Alexandra will substitute for her class and I will fly solo (well, along with some of our teammates as helpers) in the class. I'm looking forward to it, but, again, am nervous, as today I relied heavily on Alexandra's knowledge of the technical construction of the English language.
But this has been a great trip. God has been so faithful, proving Himself so even when we doubt or are fearful. He is truly a God we can depend upon and trust. We on Team Ukraine are very grateful to Him.
Thank you all, heartily, for your prayers.

With love from Ukraine,
Joshua

No comments: